Do you have an interest in applying for a Leadership Akron's program? Below you can access the Leadership Akron common application and apply for most of Leadership Akron programs at any time. However, most programs run at a specific time of year. Be sure to check the designated page for the program you wish to apply for, to ensure you can accommodate the dates and times of the upcoming program session.
How do I apply?
- You can access the common application link at all times at the top of the Leadership Akron website. Or, you can access the application off any program page in the sidebar menu. Click “Apply Now” to begin the application.
- You will be prompted to enter your contact information, biographical information, the specific program you’d like to apply and a list of your community involvement.
- Once you complete your application, you will receive a confirmation email from the Leadership Akron team confirming the receipt of your application.
- You will be able to access your application at any time to make any necessary updates.
After I complete the online application, am I done?
No, there are a few more steps to the process. First, you will need to complete the Tuition & Attendance Commitment Form. We will also need your headshot in a digital format (300 ppi recommended), which you may e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a Subject line of [the program in which you applied] Photo, [your last name].
If you are applying for the Signature Program or Diversity on Board, you will be contacted to set up a one-on-one interview as part of the application process. If you completed your application and have not been contacted for an interview, please call Leadership Akron at 330.436.5291.
All applicants will be notified whether or not they were selected for the program at least four weeks prior to the start of the program. If you have not heard back regarding your application, please call Leadership Akron at 330.436.5291.
What is the tuition? is there scholarship opportunities for tuition?
Tuition information can be found on each designated program page. Scholarships based on need are available. You must indicate on the Tuition & Attendance Commitment Form your need for a scholarship. You may also need to submit a separate document listing the reasons for requesting a scholarship.
Please note about scholarships:
(1) We do not give full scholarships. Most scholarships fall in the range of twenty to sixty percent of total tuition.
(2) Scholarship requests are considered independently from the applications. The class is selected first, regardless of the scholarship status of any individual applicant. After the class is selected we determine which of those accepted have requested scholarship support. Additionally, if a payment plan is needed, this can be worked out with the Leadership Akron office after the selection process is completed.
I would like to recommend an individual for a leadership akron program. where do I submit my recommendation?
If you would like to recommend an individual for a program, click here. We encourage you to recommend an individual(s) who have demonstrated leadership potential. These individuals should be readily available to meet the obligations of membership in the program and should exhibit an interest and commitment to the Akron community. Please note: due to the size restrictions of each class, many well-qualified candidates will not be chosen. In submitting your recommendation, this does not guarantee the individual's selection into the class—it will notify the Leadership Akron staff of an individual who should receive information about the application process.
I was recommended by an individual for a program. how does that play into the application process?
Your program recommendation is submitted along with your application to be reviewed during the program selection process. However, a program recommendation does not guarantee selection into the class.
Do I have to live in Akron to apply?
No. Anyone who lives or works chiefly in Summit County can apply.
Do I have to complete any other programs before applying to the Signature Program?
No. Many participants in our Community Leadership Institutes and Torchbearers go on to apply for the Signature Program, but neither is required to apply.
How selective is the process for the signature program?
In general, there are 2-3 applicants for every spot in the class; 40 individuals will be selected. Many candidates apply multiple times before being selected. A selection committee, made up of the members of the Leadership Akron Board of Trustees, carefully reviews all submitted applications. Each candidate will have a brief informational interview with a trustee to provide additional background on their application.
The committee looks for applicants who:
- Have demonstrated commitment and concern through past and present community volunteer activities.
- Have demonstrated a capacity for leadership within their own organizations through significant achievements relative to age and experience.
- Have the ability to make the time commitment required with the full support of the applicant’s employer.
Other considerations for the Signature Program:
- We seek representation from a diverse group of men and women in business, labor, education, health care, arts, religion, government, community-based organizations, and ethnic and minority groups.
- We seek representation from all geographic areas of the greater Akron region.
- Community service in other communities is considered in the selection process.
- It is NOT a requirement to have completed any other Leadership Akron programs or attend any Leadership Akron events.
- Appointment to the Leadership Akron Signature Program is limited. Only one candidate is selected from a business or organization in any given year.
- Due to the size restrictions of each year’s class, many well-qualified candidates will not be chosen. Applicants are encouraged to reapply in subsequent years. Oftentimes, when candidates reapply, it is noted and weighed in to the selection process.